let it go?

I just watched a sermon.  Maybe I had really high expectations and now I'm just a little disappointed. Or ........ You know what, I let go of my need to understand.  I have heard from many people who don't believe in G-d or don't have a relationship with Him, that the Bible is a contradiction.  As a believer in Jesus Christ, you would think that I would argue against this.  But in actuality, I have a tendency to agree.  The reason being though is because the Bible is a history book - I wasn't the original, intended audience.  And also, the Bible even backs this up: He is a mystery (Job 11:7-8?*), His ways are higher than mine (Isaiah 55:8-9*) and to lean not on my understanding (Proverbs 3:5*).  This is obviously something that G-d is continuing to remind me in my own personal journey.

I don't know why (and it doesn't really matter) but I like to cling to understanding, probably because it is something tangible.  And I find myself having to let go of my own understanding and to remind myself of the verses I mentioned above CONSTANTLY!

Anyways, back to this sermon that I just watched... it wasn't what I was expecting and my finite mind doesn't know what to do with the information I just took in.  Which is ironic because the title of the sermon was, "Let It Go".  G-d is funny.  What I would love more clarity on is this idea of letting go of my own will but then also being very specific and persistent in my prayers - don't those 2 ideas contradict themselves?  Even though I have these questions, again, I choose to let it go.  I know and I believe that G-d will give me the answer I need in the right timing, His perfect timing.  This "faith" all comes with the relationship I have with Him.  It is something that has been in development for years and will continue 'til death.  And I will never fully know G-d either but that doesn't mean that I will give up learning about Him and His character.

I literally feel like I just went in a circle but you know what?  I'm ok with it.  For some strange reason I'm a peace about it.  Probably because He's bigger and more knowledgeable than I and there's a comfort in that.


* "Do you think you can explain the mystery of God?  Do you think you can diagram God Almighty?  God is far higher than you can imagine, far deeper than you can comprehend..."  Job 11:7-8 MSG

* "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9 ESV

* "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding..." Proverbs 3:5 NKJV

Comments

Popular Posts