later

I don't know about you but I have found myself saying "later" or "I'll do [fill in the blank] tomorrow", etc.  I am going to be very transparent with you now.  This word or this mentality rather, has gotten me in a very dark and lethargic place.  I find that there are days that go by where all I say is "later" until the end of the day and I have nothing to show for it.  And trust me the enemy is right on my tail on days like that, heaping condemnation.  I don't want to waste my life like that.  I know that I have been called to a higher calling!


The Bible has some thing to say about this too:

Ephesians 5:15-16
Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

Proverbs 3:27-28
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.  Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back tomorrow and I'll give it to you" - when you already have it with you.

or James 4:13-14
Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.


I have a tendency to not do "something" because I want to make sure that I'm doing what G-d wants me to do.  From a surface level that response seems very spiritual but I think at the root is fear (which is not of G-d - 2 Timothy 1:7, 1 John 4:18).  I have allowed this fear of not wanting to mess up, do the "wrong" thing, etc, paralyze me into doing nothing (perfectionism?).  I'm pretty sure G-d would rather me DO something because at least He can redeem it.  If I don't act, He can't work.  For example, this verse found in Psalm 81:10, "open your mouth and I will fill it".  This is a command but it's an action that I have to take FIRST before the Lord does His part.  It takes faith and trust.

Let me throw a little wrench in the mix: What if by not doing something, I am "quenching the Spirit" (1 Thess 5:19)?  Could it be that it is the Holy Spirit leading and guiding me to move when that thought pops into my head?

Anyways, just something that I wanted to share and didn't want to wait.  This whole "later" thing is definitely a weakness but "when I am weak, then I am strong!" (2 Corinthians 12:9-10) - thank goodness!

If you find that this has been helpful, please let me know.  I would love to hear from you.  Until next time... but not later. :)  Love!



[EDIT]: The next morning....
I have been listening to #codeorangerevival podcasts from Elevation Church and I was prompted to finish day 2 this morning.  I'm getting to the end of the podcast when I hear this: "maybe I should just wait on G-d, G-d says, 'I'm waiting on you!'" (39m).  This couldn't be more timely considering all the G-d had been speaking to me yesterday.  I see it kind of like my neighbor elbowing me, "hey, hey, remember.............".  I am empowered and fired up to stand and declare in the authority that I have been given under heaven!  And I hope that this encouraging word will do the same for you.

G-d is real.  He speaks.  Will you listen? (James 1:22-25)

Comments

Popular Posts