obedience, I don't have to like it

This is the second time this week that G-d has brought a reminder to my life about the Bible story of Lazarus.  When things like that are repeated, I don't take it lightly because I believe that G-d is trying to tell/show me something.

At the beginning of the week, I was watching and listening to a sermon by Judah Smith on youtube.  Judah was talking about this concept of love and how it is the main point of the Bible.  This same point G-d had revealed and reminded me earlier this week as well so I was laughing on the inside, G-d was speaking to me again!  Anyways, so Judah Smith continues on and brings the story of Lazarus into the picture.  He brings it up to prove the point the its G-d's love that is central to this story as well as to the whole Gospel.  He continues and points out, that when the sisters sent for Jesus all they wrote was "Lord, he whom you love is ill" (John 11:3).  They KNEW that Jesus loved Lazarus and if that didn't "convince" Jesus to come and heal Lazarus then nothing would.  I know I am not doing this sermon justice so if you are curious, here's the link.

So now it's Thursday, almost the end of the week, and what just happened!?  I got a text (that was delayed btw) and in this text my small group leader mentioned Lazarus!  I'm shaking my head and smiling because if that isn't G-d talking to me then I don't know what is...

I decided to go to the story myself but I am looking at it a little more closely now.  Here's what stuck out to me as I was reading: 1) Jesus didn't go when he was first called.  And 2) one of the most famous (and short) verses in the Bible, "Jesus wept" (John 11:35).  The first part has always been puzzling to me.  Why wouldn't Jesus go immediately to be with his besties?  We don't really know what He was doing at the time he received word that Lazarus was SICK but (v.6) tells us that Jesus stayed TWO DAYS LONGER after finding out!  And by the time that Jesus arrived at Lazarus' house, he had been dead 4 days.  Puzzling.  The only conclusion I have ever been able to figure out is that Jesus knew that G-d would resurrect him; (v.4) "But when Jesus heard it (the news that Lazarus was sick) he said, 'This illness does not lead to death.  It is for the glory of G-d, so that the Son of G-d may be glorified through it'."

So Jesus finds out his friend is sick.  He hangs around a little longer until his friend is DEAD.  When he arrives he has to deal with the sisters and their grief, etc.  And the conclusion from above is that Jesus was being obedient to G-d the Father.  But he still wept when he got to Mary and Martha's??  I have read this story countless times but it was only now that this connection was made: obedience isn't always coupled with happiness or a smile.  And Jesus is the prime example of this.  He was obedient to G-d but he was still emotional over the death of his friend.  EVEN THOUGH HE KNEW THAT G-D WAS GOING TO RAISE HIM BACK TO LIFE!  I don't know about you but this is reassuring for me.

I try to be obedient to what G-d is calling me to but I don't have to like it all the time.  What a relief.  Anyways, these are just ramblings and thoughts as I journey through life and I trust that it will bring you some hope as well.  I would love to know your thoughts or comments below.  Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts